Elaboration
Details are between the lines
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Hustle and Flow
First nights r always e toughest

The flight was pleasant, so much so I could sleep through a movie (Thank You For Smoking) and the stewardess had to wake me up for lunch. What do I have to say, it’s SQ866. A few friends sent me off at Changi, but those that I really want to meet aren’t around.

At arrival, everything went smoothly. Had to claim back my jack knife at baggage claim after they confiscated it at Changi. Had left it my Outdoor red bag. The security guard really took an effort to dig out amongst all my stuff. That’s gd security. Now, it was the 2 hour wait for Gaik Chin. Found the Macs that we’re suppose to meet, but it was full, so settle and the seats next to the arrival hall. Took a nap as usual. When she arrived, we met up with her buddy and took a cab all the way to her Uni. The fare was like 346HK. Ex like fuck. But it saved the trouble. Cos the next day when I traveled to my Uni, my luggage gave her quite a lot of problems.

Her Uni was huge and it faced to sea. Scenary was wonderful in the morning. I’ll leave the comments of her room to her. She’s staying with a Canadian btw. And I slept in the lounge, which they call a Common Room. Kinda reminded me of the last few days in hall.

The next day, we woke up early to settle her admin stuff and pay her bills. Then it was off to my Uni. Met up wif my buddy. She’s the quiet typed, but she really helped show me around the place. Took a short shuttle to the hostel and check in. As for my room, I’ll let the pics do the talking for now. There’s no fan, only air-con, still calculating the rate tho (last count was like 6hr for 10HK). Just met my room-mate. He’s from Xian, yr 2 studying in this Uni. Hope he can be of great help. Btw, I also have an attached bathroom, sharing with the other room ppl, ie, I stay in 505B, 505A ppl n me share one common bathroom. So it’s 4 ppl to a bathroom.

As for the rest of the day. We explored Mong Kok and tried to get some essentials but to no avail. However, I came across a cool shirt. You’ll understand from the pic I took of it. And it was only 39HK. We then met up with Gaik Chin’s buddy again and he helped us around n finally settle buying some of our stuff. He’s William btw. Haven’t got his Chinese name tho. We went to a food court for lunch then had porridge for dinner. On the first night, after left our stuff in Gaik Chin’s rm, we went out and had Macs. Quick n easy cos we’re tired and it was getting late.

Now, after dinner today, I made my own way back to City U. Was quite easy. But it was a long walk. Really good training on the legs. I thought the walk up thru Sci to our hall was like mount doom, but this one made that look like just bukit timah. This was the real mount doom, with the hostels over-towering and looking down on you like the ‘seeing-eye’.

Took a gd bath and now blogging. The night’s still young though, gotta explore a bit n meet the rest of the folks. BRB.


Day 2, Tuesday (Lost in Translation)
Woke up in the morning, the air-con had switched off halfway thru the night. My roommate was missing, but he came in soon after. Talk to him a bit. He had slept over his friend’s place. We washed up and left for the Uni, tho he left earlier. I was still lazing around. Better to go later when all the offices are open. Anyway, I finally got my visa but encountered some problems. Called up my buddy n she tried to help me. But she could only do so much. She said she’ll get her friend to help, but till now, I haven’t got the contact from her yet. Maybe just remind her tomorrow bah.

So we went for lunch, which was behind the Uni. Not bad the food, and she treated. She’s really nice. Since we couldn’t do much for the rest of the afternoon, she left while I explored a bit of the supermarket at festival walk. The prices are something like NTUC. So it was quite ok. Then went back hall to ‘nua’.

Met up with the roommates from the other room. They were cleaning up their room and we met in the bathroom. We talked for a while in the bathroom. They’re from HK and are yr 2. Their English n Chinese aren’t that good, but their Canto was of course gd lah. So I’m like vice versa. They knew that too once I told them I was from Singapore. Guess we can learn a lot from each other. My room mate came back too after getting some groceries, but left shortly. I took a short nap before shutting the air con down. The rate is about HK$1/hr I guess.

Then it was off to meet Gaik Chin at 5pm. We were going to meet up with Angie for dinner. So we walk much of harbour city before resting at Macs(again) n waited for her till she came at about 7.45pm. A short walk later, I rediscovered the Espirit outlet and it was shopping till like about 9pm. Bought 3 t-shirts. Will be back when I take more orders. The story of it shifting was alas untrue.

Next it was off to eat dinner at this restaurant called ‘Biao Ge’. The photos speak for themselves. Food was alright, tho I agree with Gaik Chin that it was more salty than that in Singapore, but I like it. Then we walked around Grandville road n vicinity, which mainly was ladies apparel. Gaik Chin got her Birkenstock n Espirit bag. So she was quite happy about it. Then we went to a dessert stall in Hau Fook Street. The dessert was great, especially the ice shavings are fine n smooth, unlike those in Singapore. By now it’s almost 11.30pm. Time to head on home. Next day’s itenary – Wong Tai Sin temple. All in all, the major prob I face now would be the language. Gotta learn it fast, but steadily.


THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE