Elaboration
Details are between the lines
Sunday, August 17, 2008
The Reds Review
2008/08/16 Sunderland vs Liverpool (0-1)
The English Premier League has started once again and as always, they say that this could be their year. I have no comments on that, just keeping my fingers crossed. Prior to this starting match today, Liverpool met up with Standard Liege in their Champions League qualifications. Thank goodness it was goaless draw, as I couldn't wake up for it. So at least I didn't waste my sleep over it. But I heard it was a disappointing performance. Nonetheless, I kinda knew they were going to bring it to the second leg at home. It's their usual practice.

Thus, on to the big match today. Before the goal came, the game seemed to be what I would be watching on that weekday night. Liverpool seemed edgey and couldn't get their passes right. Even the line-up seemed out of place. So being the optimistic person I am, I watched on. But as it dragged on, the game wasn't going anywhere, and I thought it was going to be one of those frustrating nights again. To top it of, it might the face of what's to come for the rest of the season.

As the commentators mentioned, the game really needed a goal to kick start both teams into the long road ahead. Playing like this would get either team no where. So, in the 2nd half, Liverpool upped a notch, and we started seeing chances. The closest was when a shot got blocked and Torres was at hand to sweep up the scraps when Robbie Keane went in for the same ball and ended up blocking the shot. When they meant a pairing, it wasn't meant this way. After a few substitutions later, Torres's one and only chance sealed the game. The defenders just for that moment, gave him that extra inch of space, and he took it. The match needed something special and he was at hand to prove it and why Liverpool need him so much.

At the end of day, 3 points was enough to forgive everything. But in the long run through the season, they have a lot of ground yet to cover.

(This is a start of my Reds Review after watching their matches. Hopefully..)