Elaboration
Details are between the lines
Monday, October 23, 2006
I Have To Blog About This
SBS Transit launches "Flag the Bus Early" campaign

I saw this headline in the Singapore section when I opened my Firefox browser and the CNA homepage loaded up. I just went WTF! Then, I calmed myself and said, aiyah, it's Singapore lah, this kind of crappy campaign also can come up with. So I clicked the article and read the contents.

"SINGAPORE : The SBS Transit has placed signs at 100 selected bus stops across Singapore, encouraging passengers to flag the bus early.
This will help bus captains stop at a timely manner and to ensure a smoother and safer ride for those onboard.
The operator has launched the public education campaign after receiving complaints that bus captains drove off from bus stops without picking up passengers.
Its subsequent investigations found that many commuters missed the bus because they often flagged too late.
Commuters can also pick up brochures on safe bus stop practices at 16 bus interchanges. - CNA /ls
"

Then I went 'pek chek'. Come on lah.... Ok, maybe I'm in HK too long liao or something, but I know I can't be wrong when I say this. As a person, if you can't flag the bus earlier, then it's your bloody problem! You expect the bus driver to have the same reaction times as Anakin in his podracer is it?
I've been screwed before where bus drivers couldn't react in time to stop the bus, and there were times where kind souls stop so that you can lug that heavy school bag home earlier. Well, to bus drivers out there, just go ahead and do your thing! You're not at fault. All Singaporeans do is complain n comlpain.
I mean, if it had happened to you before, you jolly well know next time flag the bus earlier lah. Or be more observant and see what other ppl do, or didn't do. And if u expect other ppl at the bus stop to take the same bus as you and tht they would flag it for u, dream on, cos they're thinking the same (I've seen this b4) .Maybe tht's y the bus driver thought no one wanted to take his bus. Then there's ppl who try to act cool and take a spot in some corner in the bus stop where they can't see the bus and the bus driver can't see them either. In HK, if you're not in line and along the road eagerly waiting for the bus, the bus just drives pass, not expecting you to walk up to the stop only when the bus is 10m away.
So they complain, and stupid Singaporeans have to be educated. If I were a Hongkonger, I'll laugh and say, Singaporeans need to be taught this kinda of simple stuff ah. "How to flag a bus", I taught this myself way back in pri sch when I first figured how to take a bus.
After this, I can guess what happens. Buses will try to stop at every stop, even when there aren't ppl boarding and alighting, then ppl will start complaining again that the bus drivers got no brains to figure out that the stop can be skipped. Think about that.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE