Elaboration
Details are between the lines
Monday, March 10, 2008
A Slight Change In The Wind
Well, part of this post was an email to a friend in the US which I have never contacted for a long long time. Quite surprised he call me on a Sunday noon. But it was a nice surprise, and feels good to have nice surprises now and then. Since I was explaining some stuff to him, I guess most of u also want to know about it.

"Guess you’re confused like everyone else how many part time jobs I have right now. That one is the sailing one. Now, how it all comes about…

Basically after I graduated, my teaching assistant (TA) from the previous semester in a bio module emailed the whole batch saying that her good friend was looking for part time and full time instructors in her company. So I applied it and got it. My first interview and I was offered the job. I was kinda hesitant as I couldn’t believe I could be this lucky. So anyway, I started working part-time first, even though she offered me full-time. The pay was what was holding me back. So I started bringing sec kids to field trips to parks and beaches and teach them the wildlife u can find there. In addition, I also teach about conservation and the environment, i.e., the community service part, which they clock hours.

And so, I’ve been doing this for quite a while, at the same time still applying for jobs. When the job hunting started to look bleak, I was kinda decided on going full time, but just when I wanted to, my 2 other colleagues went full time already. My boss was looking for 2 full timers this yr and didn’t want to expand so fast. She said she really would like me in the team, but for now, she’s not ready to expand so fast. So I was one step too late. But she did say when she wants to expand, I’ll be first on her list. Thus, I’ve become a full part-time for her. Going for every fieldtrip they have but never going to the office.

Yet as she rejected me, she offered me another job. She mentioned that the company was working with the National Sailing Centre in setting up a new sailing course and they were training up instructors and asked if I was interested. It was a good chance to learn to sail and of course, a good chance for another part time job on my hands. The good thing is, I won’t be stuck in an office, but out at sea.

I went for workshop after workshop, took up the sailing course, the first aid course, and next up is the powerboat course. It is a long term investment right now, but the outcome seems to be bright. From the talk I have with the coordinator of this new program and the people, we’re going to be the pioneering batch of instructors and will launch in June, hopefully. It’s gonna be big as well, since it’s endorsed by the National Sailing Centre, so there’s money pumping in. By the looks of it, it might end up a full time thing, since we’re the ones spearheading it. I mean, I’m already burning up my weekends for this, and they’re starting to eat into the weekdays, so much so I don’t have time to look for other jobs. So I guess I’m putting quite a lot into this and hope the fruits come out ripe."

As for my boss, she's the best boss in the world. Although she has her flaws, she can be inspiring and I've learnt a lot from her in just these 3 months. I mean, who can give u good pay, make u enjoy ur time when u work, it's ok to be a bit late, treat u drinks when the work is over, and can talk to you about ur fav subject, even drive you to the nearest mrt, or even home, and even drive you to work. On top of that, in those long car rides she would share her experience and insights for you to be inspired. She's someone I've come to look up to, and I can see that everyone she comes into contact with also looks up to her as well. I may sound like she's some wonder woman, but she has her flaws but I shan't mention them lah. No nice to do that. But those flaws are easily overcome by her plus points.

Then again, thanks to her, I'm beginning to see the bio community I've come to hear about, and slowly easing into it. There's also sailing community as well. Something I couldn't do when I was still in NUS. I wouldn't blame it on wasting my time in Hall, but rather, Hall life is something I'm proud I've experienced, something not many people can say so. And adding that to what I have now, it's just getting better.

Oh well, time to clear up stuff which has accumulated in the past week.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE